Declared as the 24th district of Assam in 1989 by a Government of Assam Notification No. AAA.98/89/Pt/I dt. 29/09/1989,
Hailakandi is one of the fastest forward marching districts in the Barak Valley Region of Assam. Several myths are associated with the name ‘Hailakandi’.
In Barak Valley dyke is constructed for protection of people and land from flood. This dyke is colloquially pronounced as ‘Ail’ or ‘Hail’. In the Bodokachari language ‘Kandi’
means temporary paddy land and this is how the district came to be known as ‘Hailkandi’ and then as ‘Hailakandi’. According to some historians the district got its name from
the ‘Kuki’ word ‘Halam’ means a small state and the word ‘Kundia’ meaning a plot of land for temporary ploughing. Another myth associated with the name of the district is Sali
Paddy is grown abundantly as a staple food crop and from ‘Sailkandi’ the district came to be known as Hailakandi.
Journey to the History
Perched in the heart of Barak Valley, Hailakandi was one of the oldest Sub-Divisions of Assam constituted on 1st June, 1869. At the time of partition i.e. during 1946-47,
Shri U.C. Roy, ACS was the Sub-Divisional Officer of Hailakandi. Prior to its emergence as a full-fledged district, Hailakandi was a Civil Sub-Division under Cachar district
and when it became a district, Shri J.N. Sharma, IAS, DC Cachar was holding the charge of Hailakandi till 13th October 1989. Shri A.K. Mailk, ACS took over the charge of
Deputy Commissioner of Hailakandi on October 14, 1989.Despite Hailakandi’s wearing a modern look, the district is rich in cultural heritage and tradition. It is in fact a
melting pot of cultures and a converging ground of diverse caste, creed and religion. The district has glorious records of having participated in the Freedom Movement of India.
Hailakandi’s role in India’s freedom struggle started right from the Sepoy Mutiny in 1857 when leaders from this part of the region had a valiant fight with the British soldiers
at a place called ‘Ron Tila’ at Mohanpur in Hailakandi where some of the Indian leaders laid down their lives for the cause of Motherland. Several youths of the district also took
part in Gandhiji’s Civil Disobedience Movement and Quit India Movement. Prominent among them are Sanat Das Gupta, Upendra Dhar, Abdul Matlib Mazumdar, Sunil Chakraborty and others.
Much of the historical antecedents of Hailakandi can be traced back to the British Raj in India. Till the invasion of the British administrators water way was the only means of connectivity
in the district. During early British period changes in Transport and Communication system had taken place. The British rulers established many tea gardens and for transportation of raw
and finished products, Hailakandi was linked with railway line. Gradually with the passage of time road communication developed in the district. Some scattered publications and public opinion
highlighted the names of some managers of Tea Gardens viz. Mr. James Marshall Winchister, Mr. Mac Farlene Chalmers and M.R. Hoiates. The present Chalmers Higher Secondary School in Katlicherra
was set up after the name of Mr. Mac Farlene Chalmers. The Graham M.V. School of Hailakandi was named after Mr. Grahame, the Sub-Divisional Officer of Hailakandi Sub-Division. The present Hertbertganj
Bazar was named after Mr. Hertbert, the then SDO of Hailakandi. Besides the contributions of the Britishers, the land donated by some renowned families of Hailakandi for construction of schools
still are the flag-bearers of the rich history of the district. Many National leaders includinng Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, Jawaharlal Nehru visited the district in the pre-independence period.
The district Hailakandi consists of only one sub division namely Hailakandi with four revenue circles- Hailakandi, Algapur, Katlicherra and Lala, and five development blocks namely Hailakandi Dev Block
Lala Dev Block, Katlicherra Dev Block, Algapur Dev Block and South Hailakandi Dev Block. There are three towns viz. Hailakandi (M.B.) and Lala (T.C.) and H.P.C. Township (C.T.) in the district. The total
number of villages in the district is 331 of which 327 are inhabited as per 2001 Census. There are 62 Gaon Panchayats and 5 Anchalik Panchayats in the district.
Location and Area :
The Hailakandi district is situated in the southernmost part of Assam. The distance of
the state capital Guwahati from the district Head Quarter is about 330 Km. With a
geographical area of 1327 Sq. Km, the district is bounded by River Barak & Cachar
district in the North and East, State of Mizoram in the South and East and Karimganj district
in the west. The interstate border is stretched over 76 KM in the south east
Latitude and Longitude of Hailakandi
Latitude : 24.6833° N
Longitude :92.5667° E
Getting Here :
Hailakandi is well conncected by Airways, Roadways and Railways to the rest of the country.
Nearest Airport is Kumbhirgram, Rail Station is Hailakandi and Badarpur. Moreover, direct buses
ply between Hailakandi and other places.The distance of the state capital Guwahati from the district Head Quarter
is about 330 Km and it well connected by day and night bus service.
Google Map : Hailakandi
Natural Resource Base :
Hailakandi district shares the features of Assam in North-East with conductive agroclimatic
regions, categorized on full basis of homogeneity in agro-characteristics and
favourable for cultivation of various crops. The major proportion of the geographical
area of the district is put into agricultural uses. Net area under different crops in the
district works out 44,670 ha (33.6%) of which 36500 ha (82%) is used for paddy
cultivation and 5920 ha (13.4%) for tea plantation.
Development of farm forestry by bringing wasteland into use is of great significance. It
not only fulfils fuel and wood requirements of the people but also ensure supply of raw
materials for the forest-based industries besides maintaining ecological balance. The
forest resource base of Hailakandi district comprise of 2 reserve forests viz., Inner live
reserve forest and Katakhal reserve forest. It has a total of 27 forests of which area in the
district total geographical area is 55.8 per cent (74115 ha). The Hindustan Paper Mill
situated at Panchgram depends on bamboo of the forests as their raw materials.
Steeped in scenic splendour of nature in the midst of vast expanse of cropland and meandering river, Hailakandi is a
treasure trove of cultural and religious tourism. Places which can rightfully claim a place in tourism map of Assam are
Siddyashar Bari Sibmandir at Badarpur Ghat and Pach Pirr Mukam in South Hailakandi
Contents on this website are provided by the District Administration, Hailakandi, Assam.
Published and managed by National Informatics Centre, Hailakandi District Unit.
| Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome Browser |