The Hailakandi Town Committee was constituted in the year 1921. From the available records it was seen that a Magistrate
was in-charge of the then Town Committee and Shri J.C. Nandi Mazumdar (E.A.C), Shri P.K.Dutta and Deputy Commissioner, Cachar
were the members of the Town Committee.
In the year 1926 the then S.D.O (civil) was the Chairman of the Town committee and Shri B.C. Das, Assistant Munsiff, Shri K.C. Purkayastha ,
Shri B.C. Chakraborty and Shri Prayag Dutta and Shri Watir Ali Choudhury were the members of the then Town Committee.Hailakandi T.C. was
upgraded as Municipal Board by the Govt. w.e.f. 21st December’1963